In 2019, CCAMLR established the General Capacity Building Fund (GCBF) to support specific projects, activities or travel support, or to address special needs of Members if the Commission so decides, aimed at enhancing Members’ capacity to better achieve the objective of the CAMLR Convention.
The Fund may also be used for assisting the Secretariat or Members to provide capacity building activities/opportunities to other Members.
The overall objectives of the Fund are:
- to support all Contracting Parties, with priority given to all those Contracting Parties that are least effective in the implementation of their obligations under the Convention. This priority shall be afforded on the basis of evidence-based need in accordance with these guidelines
- to create confidence and ability for members to achieve the objectives of the Convention
- to improve Member’s ability to contribute to the work of the Commission, and the Scientific Committee, their subsidiary bodies and the Secretariat
- to improve the overall system of operation of CCAMLR
- to support the needs of individual Members
- to increase knowledge sharing and expertise between CCAMLR Members emphasising the value of cooperation.
 An Acceding State or NCP cooperating with the CDS may apply to the Fund where an application has the support of a Member.
Making an application
Travel Assistance Applications
Applications to the GCBF for travel assistance (Guidelines for Administration of the Fund (258.84 KB), paragraphs 18 to 23) must be made on the Applications for travel assistance from the GCBF (167.31 KB) form.
There will be two calls for travel assistance applications in 2023. The first, for travel taking place before 31 August 2023, will close 17:00 (AEDT) 31 March 2023. The second, for travel taking place from 1 September 2023 onwards, will close 17:00 (AEDT) 15 July 2023.
Applications to the GCBF for funding for specific projects or activities (Guidelines for Administration of the Fund (258.84 KB), paragraphs 5 to 17) should be made in the appropriate format which can be found in Application form for assistance from the General Capacity Building Fund (157.96 KB).
The deadline for general applications to the GCBF is 15 July 2023. No late applications will be considered.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to ensure that enough information is provided to allow the GCBF Panel to determine that the needs and objectives of the GCBF have been met and therefore enhance the work of CCAMLR. Please download the Guidelines for Administration of the Fund (258.84 KB) for more information on the objectives of the Fund and how it will operate.
Proposals will be reviewed by the GCBF Panel using defined criteria. Decisions on the general applications will be made in October 2023 at CCAMLR-42.
If you have an intention to apply, please contact the Secretariat on GCBF [at] ccamlr [dot] org so we may assist you with the process. Completed applications or queries should also be sent to GCBF [at] ccamlr [dot] org.