CCAMLR’s language interpretation services for the meetings of the Commission, the Scientific Committee and the Standing Committee on Implementation and Compliance are due to be open for tender as of March 2024. The Secretariat is seeking EOIs from interpretation professionals as the first step of a comprehensive periodic review.
Throughout the duration of its annual meetings, CCAMLR requires simultaneous interpretation to and from English into the three other official languages of the Commission – Russian, French and Spanish. Due to the complexity of technical subject matter and terminology, interpretation to and from languages other than English is facilitated through a relay system.
These meetings typically take place over a period of some two weeks during mid to late-October each year. Successful applicants may be placed on the CCAMLR surge roster and contracted for regular meeting and/or ad hoc additional work by mutual agreement.
The Secretariat may make arrangements for the successful applicants’ travel and accommodation and meet relevant expenses as required (where interpretation in-person is desirable).
The tasks to be performed are:
• Meeting interpretation for in-person meetings
Interpretation to and from English into Russian, French and Spanish typically requires at least two teams of three per language during the first week of meetings, and one team of three per language during the second week, starting at 9 am and ending at 5.30 pm, with an hour and a half lunch break and two coffee breaks of a half an hour each. Exceptionally, interpretation may also be extended for up to one hour of overtime per day.
Qualifications required of professionals
1. Outstanding simultaneous interpretation skills to and from English into Russian, French and Spanish.
3. Ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines.
4. Ability to produce a high volume of quality content.
5. Experience with multilateral bodies.
6. Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team in a multicultural environment.
Individual contractors are asked to submit the following documents in support of their expression of interest:
- A letter of interest detailing relevant qualifications and experience, eligibility to work in Australia (subject to visa approval as required) and suitability for the role (no more than 2 pages).
- A current CV (no more than 3 pages) including recent experience interpreting in international, scientific, technical or policy settings.
- An indicative hourly rate in AUD
- Proof of relevant interpretation qualifications or certifications.
Ms Catherine Stubberfield
CCAMLR Communications Manager
catherine [dot] stubberfield [at] ccamlr [dot] org