2018–2019: Elisa Seyboth (Brazil) – examining the factors affecting the distribution and relative abundance of fin whales Balaenoptera physalus and the overlap of fin whales with the distributions of krill and krill fishing activities in CCAMLR Subarea 48.1.
Mentor: Dr George Watters (USA)
2018–2019: Dr Davide Di Blasi (Italy) – developing non-invasive sampling video methodologies, Baited Remote Underwater Videocameras (BRUVs), to investigate the biology of Antarctic toothfish Dissostichus mawsoni.
Mentor: Dr Steve Parker (New Zealand)
2017–2018: Andrea Capurro (Argentina) – data analysis and spatial planning in relation to the work in Domain 1.
Mentors: Dr Susie Grant (UK) and Dr Mercedes Santos (Argentina)
- Incorporating information on the distribution of the krill fishery into Domain 1 MPA planning – report of the CCAMLR scholarship recipient WG-EMM-17/22 (1.65 MB)
2017–2018: Yiping Ying (China) – analysis of fishing activity and the use of CPUE data combined with acoustic data from the krill fishery to study the progressive change of krill density through the fishing season.
Mentor: Dr Xianyong Zhao (China)
- Krill CPUE standardisation and comparison with acoustic data based on data collected from Chinese fishing vessels in Subarea 48.1 WG-EMM-17/41 (1.49 MB)
2016–2017: Fokje Schaafsma (EU) – studying how living resources are affected by changes in sea-ice habitats through investigations of the distribution, population structure and diet of trophic key species in the under-ice habitat.
Mentor: Dr Jan Van Franeker (EU)
- Size and stage composition of age class 0 Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) in the ice-water interface layer during winter/early spring WG-EMM-16/P16 (2.92 MB)
2015–2016: *Aleksandr Sytov (Russian Federation) – the relationship between environmental variables and the spatial–temporal dynamics of krill catch and effort.
Mentor: Dr Svetlana Kasatkina (Russian Federation)
- Notes of hydrobiologist "Akademik Fedorov" (the 60th RAE Expedition) East Antarctica (December 2014 - February 2015) WG-EMM-15/21 (2.74 MB)
- Analysis of the krill spatial distribution characteristics as the important factor in fishery management in Area 48 (report of the CCAMLR scholarship recipient) WG-EMM-16/41 (1.65 MB)
- Proposals of the Russian Federation on by-catch reporting in the longline toothfish fishery in the CCAMLR Convention Area WG-SAM-16/24 (1.19 MB)
2014–2015: Anna Panasiuk-Chodnicka (Poland) – integrated biological, chemical and geophysical data from both marine and terrestrial environments as part of a comprehensive ecological monitoring program in Admiralty Bay, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. She also studied the contrasting response of krill and salps to a warming oceanic ecosystem and, in particular, the contrasting energy pathways presented to species such as penguins in a salp-dominated ecosystem compared to a krill-dominated system.
Mentor: Dr Małgorzata Korczak-Abshire (Poland)
- Admiralty Bay (South Shetland Islands) as a model area for the long-term marine monitoring program – reasons and opportunities WG-EMM-14/59 (107.53 KB)
- Species variability and population structure of Euphausiacea in Admiralty Bay (King George Island; South Shetland Islands) during Antarctic summer WG-EMM-14/60 (108.96 KB)
- Admiralty Bay (South Shetland Islands) - long-term marine monitoring program WG-EMM-15/47 (1.14 MB)
- Antarctic's pelagic ecosystem: how environmental change will affect Salpidae population structure WG-EMM-15/P08 (1.42 MB)
2013–2014: Xinliang Wang (China) – used data from krill fishing vessel echosounder to develop an algorithm to produce an estimate of the characteristics and relative density of krill swarms encountered during fishing operations. He also developed a post processing technique for noise reduction algorithms to address the problem of ‘spike noise’ on acoustic data from krill fishing vessels.
Mentor: Dr Xianyong Zhao (China)
- The krill distribution in waters around the South Shetland Islands: Preliminary results from an acoustic survey conducted by a Chinese krill fishing vessel in December 2013 WG-EMM-14/47 (708.12 KB)
- Spatial distribution of krill fishery in Subarea 48.1: Implication for future surveys SC-CAMLR-XXXIII/BG/32 (454.57 KB)
2013–2014: Mercedes Santos (Argentina) – presented the results of diet and the foraging distribution studies from ongoing Adelie penguin research and monitoring at Hope Bay/Esperanza. She also played a key role in developing enhanced multi-Member collaboration and coordination of CEMP monitoring and associated research in the South Orkney Islands and the Antarctic Peninsula.
Mentors: Dr Jefferson Hinke (USA) and Dr Esteban Barrera-Oro (Argentina)
- Abundance estimation of Adélie penguins colony at Esperanza/Hope Bay WG-EMM-13/43 (322.18 KB)
- Evaluation of populations of chinstrap and gentoo penguins at Cierva Cove (ASPA N° 132). Is this site an appropriate control area for non-fishing effects? WG-EMM-13/27 (505.29 KB)
- Progress report on the development of MPAs in Domain 1 WG-EMM-14/40 (3.24 MB)
- Practical options for developing feedback management for the krill fishery in Subarea 48.2 WG-EMM-14/04 (1.24 MB)
- Breeding and post-breeding foraging locations of Adélie penguins at Hope Bay/Esperanza, Antarctic Peninsula WG-EMM-14/42 (1.07 MB)
- How similar are CEMP indices from adjacent locations? A case of study using Pygoscelis adeliae and P. papua monitoring data from three breeding colonies on King George Island WG-EMM-14/43 (752.2 KB)
- Spatial overlap of krill-dependent predators and krill fishery catches and a proposal for subdivision of catch limits in Subarea 48.1 WG-EMM-14/36 (802.06 KB)
2012–2013: Rodrigo Wiff (Chile) – developed Bayesian and CPUE based biomass dynamic models for use in toothfish stock assessment in ‘data-poor’ fisheries. His results highlighted the caution required when using catch per unit effort as an index of abundance and also highlighted the presence of extreme values in the data that were unlikely to have arisen by chance.
Mentor: Dr Mark Belchier (UK)
- A characterisation of the toothfish fishery in Subarea 48.6 from 2003/04 to 2011/12 WG-SAM-12/33 (1.16 MB)
- Re-analysis of CPUE in both species of toothfish in 48.6 area WG-FSA-13/63 (1.01 MB)
- A preliminary stock assessment in SSRUS 486A, G: A Bayesian and CPUE based biomass dynamic model WG-SAM-13/29 (1.11 MB)
- Characterising catch and effort from data-poor toothfish fisheries in CCAMLR Divisions 58.4.3 – 58.4.4 WG-SAM-13/41 (1.6 MB)
* Unable to participate in the scheme for technical reasons.