The Statistical Bulletin’s data files which are available in csv format:
Catch and effort statistics
- AggregatedFisheryEffort.csv and AggregatedFisheryCatch.csv – total catch and fishing effort by Flag State, vessel size category, target species, geographic area, fishing gear, fishing activity, calendar year and month. These data are derived from monthly STATLANT data (form 08B) validated by CCAMLR Members. Form 08B is used to report monthly fishery statistics on catch and effort in the Southern Ocean and the data form is based on a standard questionnaire originally designed by the Coordinating Working Party on Fisheries Statistics (http://www.fao.org/fishery/cwp/en) for use in global fishery statistics.
- AggregatedKrillCatch.csv – estimated total catch of krill (E. superba) by calendar year, month and small-scale management unit (SSMU; refer gis.ccamlr.org). The catches are derived from monthly STATLANT data (reported at the subarea-level) and the spatial distribution of catches reported in haul-by-haul data (C1). Where historic C1 data were missing, or insufficient to allocate catches to individual SSMUs (i.e. SSMU-group catches reported in the C1 data were < 50% of those reported in the STATLANT data), the catches for that month was allocated to the SSMU groups.
- AggregatedToothfishLandings.csv – Landings of toothfish (D. eleginoides and D. mawsoni) by calendar year, statistical area and Flag state. These data are derived from the CCAMLR Catch Documentation Scheme (CDS).
- AggregatedToothfishExports.csv - Exports and re-exports of toothfish (D. eleginoides and D. mawsoni) by calendar year, Flag state, export state and unlading state. These data are derived from the CDS.
The relationship between these data files is illustrated in the Statistical Bulletin data model (see About CCAMLR Statistical Bulletin, Figure 1) and the data attributes are described in the data dictionary (CCAMLR Statistical Bulletin Data Dictionary). The data model is based on a star schema with fact tables (aggregated data) and dimensions (year, month and reference data). The reference data (also included in the Statistical Bulletin) are:
- ReferenceDataCountry.csv - A country or an entity or an association of countries
- ReferenceDataFishingActivity.csv - Type of fishing activity conducted by a vessel (e.g. commercial fishing, fishery survey).
- ReferenceDataFishingGear.csv – An equipment used in fishing activities (e.g. midwater otter trawl).
- ReferenceDataGeographicArea.csv - A defined geographical area such as a FAO statistical area or other types of areas specific to CCAMLR (e.g. SSMU).
- ReferenceDataTaxon.csv - A unit of taxonomy used to define the hierarchy of a biological classification system. The CCAMLR taxonomy is based on the FAO ASFIS species list.
- ReferenceDataVesselSize.csv - Size category of fishing vessels based on gross tonnage, as defined in the STATLANT data form 08B. Categories relevant to CCAMLR fishing vessels are category 7: 250 to <500t; 8: 500 to <1000t; 9: 1000 to <2000t; 10: 2000 to <4000t; 11: 4000 to <10000t; 12: 10000 to < 100000t.
The csv data files and associated documentation are bundled in a zip file.
The data published in the Statistical Bulletin and the aggregated and reference data available in csv format are in the public domain. Users are requested to acknowledge the source of these data as follows:
CCAMLR. 2018. Statistical Bulletin, Vol. 30. www.ccamlr.org