This document provides a summary of progress towards milestones and responses to recommendations from WG-SAM, WG-FSA and the Scientific Committee relating to the multi-Member research plan for the toothfish exploratory fishery in Divisions 58.4.1 and 58.4.2 between 2011/12 and 2017/18.
Table 1 provides a summary of responses to the recommendations with references to the associated outputs in this paper or the new research plan (WG-FSA-18/59). In particular, this paper presents:
- Tag-overlap statistics at the scale of the research block (Figure 1) and the distribution of tags recaptured in research block 5841_2 in 2017/18 (Figure 2)
- Progress toward the case-control estimation of effective tagging survival and effective tag-detection rates (Figure 3, Table 3)
- Report on Milestone 2.2 of WG-FSA-17/18 Rev. 1: ‘Update spatially-explicit habitat-use models for toothfish using data from CTDs and BVCs’ (Appendix 1)
- Report on Milestone 2.3 of WG-FSA-17/18 Rev. 1 ‘Sharing of environmental data with SOOS (Appendix 2)
- Report on Milestone 1.10 of WG-FSA-17/18 Rev. 1: ‘Initial integrated stock assessment models for toothfish within research blocks or across SSRUs and Divisions’ (Appendix 3 and 4)
This paper also provides a summary of planned and actual achievement dates for the milestones of the 2015/16 - 2017/18 research plan (WG-FSA-17/18 Rev. 1). Previous research milestones under the 2015/16 - 2017/18 research plan have been achieved as planned (Table 2). Reports relating to 2018 milestones (1.8, 1.9, 3.1 and 4.3) have been submitted as separate papers as indicated in Table 2.