A preliminary assessment of toothfish (Dissostichus eleginoides.) in Subarea 48.3 is presented.
- The assessment results from this year’s analyses are very similar to those of 2011. SSB in the terminal assessment year continues to be estimated at around 54% of virgin biomass, consistent with the CCAMLR harvest control rule.
- The 3-fleet assessment model provides slightly improved fits to CPUE data and to catch at age observations and achieves this by assuming a different selection pattern for the intermediate (1998-2003) period and a slightly changed selection pattern for the most recent period
- Model outputs from the 2-fleet and 3-fleet assessments are very similar with the exception of the recruitment.YCS estimates which differ markedly in 1990 but follow similar trends in all other years.
- Recruitment remains uncertain although there is some evidence of the progression of strong year-classes through the catch at age data.
- MCMC diagnostics and trace plot indicate poorer results than for previous assessments and require further investigation.
- Yield calculations have yet to be completed.