Job title: Spanish Translator
Job type: Fixed-term casual for 4 months
Commencing salary: $42.05 per hour, casual rate
Commencement date: August 2019
The official languages of CCAMLR are English, French, Russian and Spanish. Three translation teams provide language services to the Commission and the Scientific Committee.
All translators are accountable to the Communications Manager. The Spanish Translator’s work will be overseen by the Spanish Team Coordinator.
Responsibilities and duties
- Translate all material as required
- Review translated texts
- Provide feedback on translations and other translation-related matters
- Research relevant terminology and, in consultation with the Team Coordinator, update glossaries to maintain translation standards and language skills
- Consult within the Spanish team on specific language use
- Evaluate and suggest methods to streamline translation in consultation with other team members and Team Coordinators
- Assess and provide input on translator training, computer and other needs
- Undertake other duties as required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience
- Excellent knowledge of Spanish and professional working knowledge of English (the majority of the translations are from English to Spanish)
- NAATI certification highly desirable
- Formal tertiary translation qualification highly desirable
- Good computer/word processing skills (Office 365 preferable)
- Experience with the use of modern translation memory software
- Capacity to work overtime and under pressure when needed
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Excellent time management skills
- Cultural awareness.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to sit a translation test in Hobart.
Employment terms and conditions
The position will be for a contract period of four months, with a trial period of four weeks. The hourly rate is $42.05 per hour.
The superannuation guarantee of 9.5% is payable.
Costs of relocation to Hobart will not be paid.
Applicants must already have the right to work in Australia and be a national of a country which is a Member of CCAMLR.
Applications, including a cover letter, statement addressing the selection criteria, résumé and the names and contact details of two professional referees, should be forwarded to:
Dr David Agnew, Executive Secretary, recruitment [at] ccamlr [dot] org
Applications close on 31 May 2019 at 5:00pm (Hobart time).
The position description can be found here.
For any questions, please contact the Communications Manager (Ms Doro Forck) on 03 6210 1166 or recruitment [at] ccamlr [dot] org.