Position title: Executive Secretary
Section: Executive Services
Reporting to: the Commission
Filling Restrictions: Full Time
Employment term: 4 years with the possibility of one additional four-year appointment
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
The CCAMLR Secretariat provides administrative and technical support to a 35-nation intergovernmental organisation responsible for conserving Antarctic marine living resources. The 25 multicultural staff of the Secretariat provide the organisation with a range of integrated services that broadly cover communications, IT support, translation, data, science, compliance, administration and finance.
Appointed under Article XVII of the Convention, and subject to the guidance of the Commission, the Executive Secretary is responsible for the overall coordination of Secretariat services to Members and administration of the Secretariat's operations in Australia.
Duties of the Executive Secretary
- Is responsible overall for ensuring the effective and efficient operation of the Secretariat.
- Creates an environment that promotes staff development and maximises their contribution to the organisation.
- Institutes systematic strategic/corporate planning for the Secretariat, in consultation with the Commission.
- Coordinates, supports and liaises with the Chairpersons of the Commission, Scientific Committee and its subsidiary bodies, the Standing Committee on Administration and Finance and the Standing Committee on Implementation and Compliance and any ad hoc groups established, in the management of their respective meetings and implementation of work programs for these meetings.
- Manages the necessary preparations and follow-up for all CCAMLR meetings, including for the intersessional work of the Scientific Committee and its subsidiary bodies as well as for any ad hoc groups established.
- Cooperates and liaises with other international organisations on matters of relevance to CCAMLR.
- Appoints and manages all scientific, technical and administrative staff necessary for CCAMLR to achieve its objective, develops individual staff work programs and/or assists in this.
- Develops and implements a performance assessment process for all staff members, including the Executive Secretary.
- Oversees the collection, collation and dissemination of information on harvesting, illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing, catch documentation and other data as required and in accordance with the conservation measures and CCAMLR objectives, and provides regular reports on the status of these databanks to the Commission and Scientific Committee.
- Is responsible for the preparation of the financial budgets for expenditure and forecast budgets for the Commission’s consideration, and ensures that expenditure is in accordance with the approved budgets.
Applicants must satisfy the following selection criteria:
- be a citizen/national of a State Member of the Commission
- have experience of the operations of international, regional and/or intergovernmental organisations
- demonstrate a high level of managerial and leadership experience and proven competence, in such areas as:
- the selection and management of administrative, technical and scientific staff
- the preparation of financial budgets and the management of expenditures and associated programs of work
- the organisation of meetings and provision of Secretariat support for high-level committees
- demonstrated ability to direct processes of change at the substantive and management levels within large institutions of national or international scope
- familiarity with Antarctic affairs
- familiarity with fisheries and/or ecosystem management
- a university degree, academic degree, or equivalent qualification
- professional competency in English with proficiency in at least one of the other three languages of the Commission desirable.
- include a completed standard application form together with a cover letter, curriculum vitae or resume and names and contact details of three (3) referees with professional knowledge of the applicant’s competencies
- be submitted via the portal on the website no later than 2400 h Australian Eastern Standard Time (GMT + 10) 15 May 2017.
Applications close 2400 h Australian Eastern Standard Time (GMT + 10) 15 May 2017
Ms Deborah Jenner
Finance and Administration Manager
03 6210 1111