Four leading Antarctic organisations have announced opportunities for early-career professionals. CCAMLR is working with the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), the Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programs (COMNAP) and the International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators (IAATO) to attract talented early-career researchers, scientists, engineers, environmental managers and other professionals to strengthen international capacity and cooperation in fields such as climate, biodiversity, conservation, humanities and astrophysics research by way of annual funding opportunities.
SCAR, COMNAP and IAATO have launched fellowships for early-career researchers. In 2020, COMNAP and IAATO will each offer one fellowship with funding of up to USD $15 000 each, and SCAR will also offer three to four fellowships of up to USD $15 000 each. The fellowships enable early-career researchers to join a project team from another country, opening up new opportunities and often creating partnerships that last for many years and over many Antarctic field seasons.
The SCAR, COMNAP and IAATO schemes are launched in conjunction with the CCAMLR Scientific Scholarship Scheme. The CCAMLR Scholarship provides funding of up to AUD $30 000 to assist early-career scientists to participate in the work of the CCAMLR Scientific Committee and its working groups over a period of two years. The objective of the scheme is to build capacity within the CCAMLR scientific community to help generate and sustain the scientific expertise needed to support the work of CCAMLR in the long term.
All schemes are being jointly promoted by the four organisations.
- The deadline for COMNAP and IAATO fellowship applications is 31 May 2020.
- The deadline for SCAR fellowship applications is 26 August 2020.
- The deadline for CCAMLR scholarship applications is 1 October 2020.
For more information, please visit:
- The SCAR website at: www.scar.org/awards/fellowships/information
- The COMNAP website at: www.comnap.aq/SitePages/fellowships.aspx
- The IAATO website at: www.iaato.org
- The CCAMLR website at: www.ccamlr.org/en/science/ccamlr-scientific-scholarship-scheme.